From inside the town walls of Goslar the viewer recognises the “Upper Waterhole“ as a timber framed building erected in the middle of the 19th century on a stony defense bridge from the middle ages.
Its one of the most remarkable and picturesque buildings of Goslar, visited by almost every visitor of the old imperial town.
Beyond the right part of the building the „Abzucht“ which is a man made backwater of the Gose river runs into town.
A look under the bridge still shows the slot through which (during the middle ages) a portcullis could be lowered to protect the town from unwanted visitors.
The year date 1651 on on the right of the big supporting beam of the bridge above the river commemorates a flood wave caused by a break of the dam of the Herzberg pond upriver, which destroyed large parts of the building, particularly the so called „Taylors“ tower (Schneider-Turm).
How this tower looked alike and where its exact position was can only be guessed.
10th century: Martini tower as solitary shelter. 1256: first documentary evidence of the Martins chapel, access to the „Bergdorf“ (ancestor settlement of Goslar).
1356: oldest dendrochronological dating in the NE wing of the building.
1402: Integration of the Martini Tower in the town wall (time marks inside and outside the building).
1621: demolition of the Martins Chapel.
1651: destruction of the Taylors Tower by a flood wave coming from a dam break at the Herzberger pond. 1719: time mark inside on top of the arch over the Abzucht passage, begin of „civil“ use.
1818: final demolition of the Taylors tower. 1848: conversion of the frame house on the stone bridge construction of the eastern wing.
1986: restoration with losses of historical substance and significant constructional faults.
2009: acquisition by Prof. Dr. mult. Ewald Schnug; exploration and planning phase until 2010.
2010–2013 preservation and restoration of the historical building substance according to the specification of listed buildings while carefully incorporating new elements.
Today: The „Glucsburgh“: residence – refugium – sanctuary.
Until 2009 the building housed 5 flats which have been (after restoration and reconstruction) converted to 5 functional areas (living and communication, study and meditation, cooking and dining, rest and sleep, sanitary).
The interior design consistently kept all historical features, combined with modern architectural features.
Today the building is the owners residence and a creative venue for young scientists from all over the world.
House blessing above the main entrance:
„There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: … a time to tear down and a time to build, …“
(The Bibel, Ecclesiastes 3, 1 & 3)